FreeKibble and FreeKibbleKat Interview with Founder Mimi

I know we've been telling you to go to FreeKibble without much of what it is, so here is an interview I had the pleasure of having with Mimi, the founder and owner.


1. When did you start FreeKibble? We started freekibble.com on April 1st, 2008.


2. Did you start FreeKibbleKat at the same time? If not, when did you start that? We started freekibblekat.com on June 1st, 2008.

3. How did you decide you wanted to start it? I really wanted to help out my local animal shelter, the Humane Society of Central Oregon, in a bigger way than just volunteering. (Which I still love to do)! I then came across the site freerice.com, which is a website that donates rice to homeless people. I thought that it would be great if we could do something like that but for animals.

4. How many pieces of kibble are donated per day about? Per year? Close to 1 million pieces on the weekdays and 750.00 on weekends for dog and cat combined - about 6.5 million per week!

5. In total, how much kibble have you collected? Over 3,866,322 meals as of right now, and over 275 tons of dog and cat kibble. We've donated food to over 100 shelters, rescues and food banks across the country.

6. How does it work? Do you pay with your money for the kibble earned through answering questions, or do shelters provided the kibble? We're very happy to say that we have an exclusive kibble sponsor - Halo, Purely for Pets, that donates all the kibble generated. The food is delivered directly to the shelters. And, it's a very high quality, all natural food which makes a big difference to the pets waiting to find homes!

7. Do you have any pets? What kinds? I have a Golden Retriever dog named Aspen and a Maine Coon cat named Dot. (Or Dorthy, from the Wizard of Oz!)

8. How can we try to get our local shelter added to the list of shelters already provided for? People will e-mail us asking if their local shelter can become a part of freekibble and we e-mail them back asking for some more information... How much kibble the shelter would need monthly, the shelters contact information and how the shelter would benefit from receiving the kibble, etc. We can not add all the shelters that request food but we do try to feed as many as possible based on what shelters need it the most.

9. Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself and what you do at freekibble? I am 14 years old and love going to events with my local shelter and raising awarrness. I also love horseback riding, hanging out with friends, playing soccer, playing with my dog, and swimming in the pool, river, or lake. As for what I do with freekibble... I answer the e-mails that are sent to us, spread the word, think of questions, volunteer at my local shelter with the dogs and cats and some other things.

10. Is it just you, the shelters, the question-answerers and the pets, or do others work with you at FreeKibble? Besides the people you just mentioned, my mom and dad are a HUGE help and do this full time. I could not do it without them! Also, the people that work for Halo, really help us out. Without them we would not be able to keep the sites going and feeding more animals.

11. Thank you so much! Is there anything else you would like to say or have me post on my blog? You are very welcome! One last thing I would like to add - To everyone that doesn't think they can make a difference, you can! Just do what you love doing in a way that helps the community, animals, the environment or whatever else it might be. Anything and everything helps!


Don't forget to go to FreeKibble and FreeKibbleKat EVERY DAY to help donate food to those who need it!

You can go to the sites by clicking the banners below! Thanks for all your help!





FreeKibble.com

               




FreeKibbleKat.com

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dawn Colclasure Guest Post

Tricia Stewart Shiu Guest Post

Blogariffic Blog Hop Information Post!